Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul under attack, Afghan official says

Posted January 21, 2018

Hotel manager Ahmad Haris Nayab, who escaped unhurt, said the attackers had got into the main part of the hotel through a kitchen and people tried to get out amid bursts of gunfire.

No reports of casualties have come so far.

The Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul was targeted in a June 2011 suicide attack that killed 21 people, among them 10 civilians. Reports say insurgents have entered the building as police have cordoned off the area, APA reports quoting Sputnik. At least 11 people were killed, including hotel staff and visitors.

What Happens During a Government Shutdown?
It's not a good weekend to plan that road trip for a wintertime twirl on the ice under Half Dome in Yosemite National Park . Homestead National Monument Superintendent Mark Engler said the National Parks Service is not expecting a shutdown.

A security personnel points his weapon near the Intercontinental Hotel after an attack in Kabul, Afghanistan on Saturday.

Abdullah Sabet, an official at the communications and information technology ministry, said IT officials from around the country were staying at the hotel ahead of a conference on Sunday. The Taliban had claimed responsibility for the attack. We do not know who are the attackers.

The hotel has not been affiliated with the InterContinental Hotels Group for decades but continues to use a variation of the name. One was and killed by Afghan security forces and three others are still battling the forces from inside the hotel, he added.

HSBC to Pay $101.5 million to resolve federal fraud charges
The clients had hired HSBC to execute multi-billion dollar foreign exchange transactions involving the British Pound Sterling. As part of the deal, the bank has also entered a three-year deferred prosecution agreement with the DoJ.

US State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said it was not known if any American citizens had been caught up in the attack.

The hotel serves as a meeting point for the Afghan capital's elite and caters to many worldwide guests.

Lebanon Reverses 'The Post' Ban; Steven Spielberg Film To Release This Week
Last year, Lebanon banned Hollywood blockbuster " Wonder Woman " because lead actress Gal Gadot had served in Israel's military. Lebanon has banned the screening of Steven Spielberg's latest movie The Post , citing Spielberg's associations with Israel.