China rebukes United States during tense Pompeo visit

Posted October 10, 2018

A similar situation occurred in June 2000 after then-President Kim Dae-jung returned from his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il in Pyongyang, telling the press he would convey an invitation to visit Pyongyang to Pope John Paul II.

He initiated offers for summits with Seoul and Washington, which led to three meetings with Moon and a highly choreographed June summit with U.S. President Donald Trump at which they issued an aspirational goal of a nuclear-free peninsula, without describing how or when it would occur.

While significant work remains to be done, he said he expected further results after an as-yet unscheduled second summit between Kim and President Trump.

If ties between the two countries continued to deteriorate, there could be "profound changes" in the strategic environment for such regional issues as North Korea, China's state-backed Global Times tabloid warned in an editorial.

The supposedly autonomous Chinese territory of Hong Kong last month declined a scheduled port visit by U.S. Navy ship, and a Chinese admiral canceled a planned visit to the U.S. Just last week, China pulled out of a planned top-level defense meeting.

While Trump is seeking a second meeting with Kim - possibly ahead of the November 6 voting - he's sending Pence in his place to regional summits planned for next month in Singapore and Papua New Guinea. Also, North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui visited Beijing and Moscow last week and reportedly discussed arrangements for Kim's visits.

Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi Arabia lets Turkey search consulate
The country has demanded Saudi Arabia prove he left , while not providing evidence to support the claim he was killed inside. CNN reports that 15 Saudi nationals visited the consulate the same day as Khashoggi and have since left the country.

The doveish Moon, who will attend a "peace Mass" for the Korean peninsula in Saint Peter's on October 17, has pushed rapprochement with Kim, meeting him three times in the past year.

"Chairman Kim said he's ready to allow them to come in" and see the dismantled Punggye-ri nuclear test site, Pompeo said.

Pompeo has repeatedly refused to discuss details of negotiations, including a US position on North Korea's demand for a declared end to the Korean War and a proposal from Seoul for such a declaration to be accompanied by a shutdown of the North's main known nuclear facility.

Wang said the United States has been escalating trade tensions between the two sides and dealt with Taiwan in a way China finds objectionable.

The US is hoping to get China to support its plan for North Korea's nuclear disarmament.

North Korea's official name is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea or DPRK.

Indonesia accepts foreign aid as tsunami death toll hovers at 844
The tsunami was bigger than would have been expected from an natural disaster of the size and type that shook the area. Widjo Kongko, a tsunami expert with the country's technology agency, also described the patchy early-warning system.

"China is committed to developing a good relationship with the US".

"Most importantly, both the leaders believe there's real progress that can be made, substantive progress that can be made at the next summit", Pompeo said. Catholic priests are prohibited in North Korea.

In an unusually public rebuke, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi accused the USA of undermining mutual trust between the countries as Pompeo sat across from him.

Pompeo, however, did not comment on possible corresponding measures to be taken by Washington.

But this time, the North Korean reaction to the talks was much more positive. Trump hinted of more progress during a news conference in NY last month, and Pompeo said Monday that he would only discuss details the two sides had agreed to release.

Trump said "eventually we're going to have lots of meetings on USA soil and on their soil by the way".

Manchester United were horrendous in West Ham defeat - Luke Shaw
The West Ham defeat drew sharp criticism from defender Luke Shaw who said United needed to take responsibility for the "horrendous" result.